Vintage scheme BN/SF Geep-O-Mania! 2905, 2286, 3167, and 167



This evening my son and I were on a bike ride through Lawndale and Cicero.  My bike popped a tire and while we waited for my wife and daughter to rescue us we were able to to some trainspotting at the Cicero Metra stop.  The station is conveniently located right at the mouth of the BNSF Intermodal Yard.  

While waiting there we saw two pairs of nicely coordinating, vintage paint BNSF GPs.  It was not the best light conditions and I only had my cheap cell phone, but I think they came out rather well all things considered

The first two were 2905 and 2286 in Burlington Northern green. 


 BNSF GP39E #2905 was built as SLSF GP35 #720 in 1965. 


 We've seen GP38-2 2286 at least twice before with different mates. It was built as Frisco 431 in 1978. 


The second pair was GP50's 3167 and 167 (GP60) in Santa Fe Blue and Yellow. 
 

GP60 BNSF 167 was built as ATSF 4008 in 1988. 


 GP50 3167 was built as ATSF 3814 in 1981. 



Barely managed a quick shot of both pairs passing each other just as I was leaving. 


 As a bonus -because I assume railfans appreciate a wide variety of vehicles- here's a 1976 Siren 17
            
 A bit dusty, but complete and well cared for by my stepfather and kept in a garage. This weekend he generously gave it and the trailer to my father.  Hopefully this will be the craft on which I relearn to sail and my children become the 3rd generation of sailors in the family. A sturdy and stable little daysailer with a very generous cockpit, this should be able to comfortably take the 4 of us into Lake Michigan in fair weather. 

Stay well all, 

Karl

Comments

Popular Posts