Budget Train Decor: 8 Buck Chicago Train Artwork.

While looking at imported photography backdrops as sources for affordable model railroad backdrops, I came across a few railroad themed examples that were much too large for model railroading but had great potential as train room wall art.

When I saw the backdrop below I immediately recognized METRA's Ogilvie station even though the generically labeled title and description didn't mention METRA, Chicago or any other specifics.  Being a Chicago enthusiast I immediately paid the $8 shipped and a couple weeks later this arrived.


This one is about 4'x6' which is too big for my purposes and to my mind the composition doesn't quite work artistically.

However, if we trim the top and bottom....


It's looking better and better!

And it could be cropped even closer


Likely I'll settle on a size somewhere in between the two.  For mounting I'm considering  going frameless and simply folding it around a piece of insulation foam like a canvas so I can size it exactly as I wish.

These backdrops seem to be relisted often and sometimes with different names, but if you search Ebay or Ali Express in the photography equipment section with the terms "Railroad", "Railway", or "Train" you should be able to find this and other large train-themed backdrops for $8-15 Shipped.

Good luck and happy art hunting!

-Karl


















Comments

Popular Posts