Budget Model Railroading. A 7 Foot Backdrop For 11 Bucks?

As I've been tweaking the plan for the Chicago Valley Railroad I've realized that I don't have space to use modeled terrain to separate the urban and mountain halves of the layout.  So, I'm going with a 2 sided backdrop divider.   For the urban side, I purchased this photography backdrop.


There are some model railroading backdrops on Ebay (and Ali Express) but they are less numerous, smaller and more expensive.  This one is 5'x7' and only cost me $11 shipped from China on eBay!  It arrived folded in a padded bag but just a few hours rolled up has already removed most of the creases. It's a vinyl material kind of similar to a tablecloth and it's nice and matte. 

Here's a couple detail shots of the lower area where it's too big for HO, but even with my poor camera phone you can see the rather good quality of the print.


 I might save these bits as a photography backdrop for larger scale wargaming miniatures.


I'm looking at a rather tall 2 foot backdrop so I choose a potential baseline near some lateral pipe detail. 2 feet up from that also keeps most of the tops of the tanks in the frame.


To test the suitability of the image, I introduce you to "Hans Von Preiser".


From left to right, lets follow Hans as he inspects the scale of the largest foreground structures.

The only major building looks good.

Hans makes his way out of the pipe farm below.


Getting a bit tired Hans?   We've only just begun!

Hans wonders why he bothered with the second nearly-identical stack.

Hans pretends to inspect the vertical pipe as he stops to catch his breath.

Almost there Hans!

Thanks Hans!

Hans scales pretty well across all the foreground structures though that does make it appear that they are all quite close to the viewer.  I think normally one might prefer for them to be a bit under-scale and I'm a bit worried that the scale might be overpowering but I really like the heavy industrial look and at at this point I think it's full speed ahead using this for the backdrop.

Now I'm off to Ebay and Ali to look for an appropriate backdrop for the rural mountain side of the backdrop.

-Karl













Comments

  1. Looks like a good candidate And since it was so cheap...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment and for reading my blog!
I hope to approve it shortly.
Sincerely,
Chicago Valley Railroad

Popular Posts