New Christmas O-27 Layout Begins!

This weekend we are beginning to setup our Christmas layout.  The genesis of this project is a Lionel Scout set my son received from his grandparents on his first birthday.  The set has been slowly added to over the years.  At an accelerating pace in the last few.

This is the 4th year that we've done more than just a loop around the tree, second year that it is raised above the ground and the first year in which it will be properly documented.

Being primarily an HO "scale" modeler, O-27 is a nice change of pace and as it is packed away the rest of the year it is something the kids and I look forward to every Christmas season.  As with most of my railroading this is a layout comprised mostly of used (often resale) items.  I'll be outlining some of the bargains and their source as I document the layout.

Here's the surface.  A folding table with height adjustable legs and two end tables support a base made from two layers of foam insulation offcuts.  The foam is pieces leftover from building my layout base.

It was a bit tricky to get the shape just right.  Our living room is not large and I wanted the layout to fit mostly within the bay window that fills most of the front face of the home. It also rests on the arms of our two sofas

Tree stand is sunk down to the first layer of foam. Next year I'll probably sink it down all the way to the white table.

With white sheets over top.  

Going to try and fill the whole area while still making adequte space for 2 lamps and of course some drink coasters.

A preview of what's coming.

This box is full mostly of O-scale compatible Die Cast.


This Suitcase is jam packed with trains.

Many of the trains were bought loose, the majority from resale shops so I've purchased trading card boxes to put them in.

This organizer is mostly tracks, various power packs and a few accessories.

And there are a few un-pictured boxes full of buildings, accessories, etc. 

This year's display will benefit from alot of additions that I've collected over the past couple years but hadn't added until now.  A quick teaser. 

New salvaged "asphalt" road material and a sweet Lionel MPC semi truck and trailer. 

Lots more coming soon!

Karl









Comments

  1. Karl, a belated thumbs up for your Christmas tree layout. I'm new to this forum and just saw your postings today. Great job in a limited space!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment and for reading my blog!
I hope to approve it shortly.
Sincerely,
Chicago Valley Railroad

Popular Posts