Why I Left the Tyco Depot and Train Collectors Forum.

In the second week of June, I learned that "The Tyco Depot and Train Collectors Forum" (aka Tyco Depot) is setup to automatically delete "Obama" and "AOC" and replace them with "Blithering Idiot" and "Bartender" respectively.  

I found that unacceptable and as a result I deleted my membership at what was by far my favorite train forum. Over the past weeks I've given considerable thought to whether I should post about this matter, but I decided to do so for two reasons.

-First, it is an issue I would want to know about if I were considering joining Tyco Depot.  (At the time of writing, the auto-replacements are still in effect.). 

-Secondly, as a "what happened to Eilif". My friends at Tyco Depot may not have seen my farewell post as it was only up for about a day before it was deleted by the site owner.

My initial draft on this topic included my screenshots of the comments from others that followed and my personal communications with the site owner.  Upon reflection I believe at this point including those or making further commentary is unnecessary.   

Below are screenshot and plain text versions of what was my final public posting at the Tyco Depot.   I think it says all I need to say on the matter. 

I promise much happier, lighter, train-focused fare for many posts to come.  

Sincerely,

-Karl



So This is Goodbye.


My friends, the time has come for me to bid farewell to the Tyco Depot.  


I’m not sure how I missed it but last week I became aware that this forum is setup to automatically change the abreviation for Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and the last name of the 44th President of the USA to “bartender” “and blithering idiot” respectively.  


For at least the past 3 years they have been the only two names so “edited”.  I approached a member of the forum administratin about this.  He agreed to make the request to the site owner TK Dave to remove the auto-edits.  This morning I learned that TK has refused to remove them, though I am told he may at some point add auto-edits to the names of politicians of the other party. 


This sort of message-changing offends me.  Not because it is the opinion of the owner and some members. I’ve known that for quite a while and I don’t limit my friends to people who agree with me.  Rather it is because this targeted disrespect is built into the system here.   I use my middle name “Eilif” as my handle in most of my online presences. Due to this auto-correct, I am now on record -through no fault of my own- insulting a man highly respected by myself and my community.  To be clear though, even if my posts hadn’t already been so edited it would still be a deal-breaker for me. 


To add a bit of context, as many of you know I work, church and live mostly among African Americans.  There is simply no way I could explain to my neighbors and some of the people I most respect in the world that my favorite, most-participated-in online forum changes President O b a m a’s name to “blithering idiot”.  I can’t, won’t and shouldn’t have to. 


I will miss you all and this place.  There is a concentrated knowledge and appreciation of 1950’s-1990’s HO trains here that is perhaps unmatched anywhere on the internet.  The members here have been extremely generious with their encouragement, time, knowledge and material.  I am truely thankful to you all and I hope in my smaller way I have done likewise.  


This will be my last public post here.  I’ll keep my account active for a day or so more in order to exchange contact information and communicate with whomever wishes to do so via Personal Message.   If -after I delete my account- you wish to continue see what I’m up to in the hobby, I will continue update my blog https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/ , likely more often than before.  


I wish I could stay, but some things are more important than model trains.  Take Care and Be Well.


Your friend,


Eilif


Popular Posts