Vintage Trailers in Kankakee

I'm working towards an 80's and 90's layout.   To that end I was preparing to rid myself of some 40' Athearn trailers from the 60's and 70's like these:
   

However, as I've been paying closer attention to the industrial areas I pass through I've come to appreciate the longevity of many trucks and trailers in secondary service.  Perhaps they're no longer the ideal size or sturdy and reliable enough for long haul trucking, but for storage, short distance hauling and other uses it seems they are still quite useful. 

While in Kankakee I spotted two interesting vintage short trailers.  This dump trailer is a study in rust weathering and a reminder to bring a bit of color into our drab urban layouts.


I don't know what the exact use of this streamlined short  trailer with side door would have been, but I don't believe I've seen one like it in action.

These might be just storage or junk, but the filled tires and cleanliness of the area around them suggested to me that they may have at least been used fairly recently. 

Based on these sorts of finds, I think I'll hold onto those old Athearn trailers a bit longer!

-Karl

Comments

Popular Posts