South Chicago and Indiana Harbor Railway. Caboose #4 and Other Pictures

Last year I visited Calumet Fisheries a couple times for the delicious fish and climbing at nearby Steelworkers Park.  Calumet Fisheries is located at 95th St and the Calumet River, just east of South Chicago Ave.  There's quite a bit of industry and railroad activity in the area. Here's a smattering of what I found.

Most notably there's a nearby yard for the South Chicago and Indiana Harbor Railway, formerly called the "Chicago Short Line".   The end of the yard I stumbled into didn't have any locos, but it did have the very interesting transfer caboose SCIH #4 .



A couple interesting pieces of rolling stock that were attached to #4



Of course I couldn't resist photographing some local industry.
Across from Calumet Fisheries is this fantastic tower that I think is related to the sifting of gravel or somesuch.  This one of my favorite of the many industrial structures I've photographed. 

This is one of several interesting lift and draw bridges that are nearby. I plan to go back and get better pictures of this one and others.

A nearby complex with some inspiring detail for model making.


I highly recommend a visit and I hope to be back soon.  For the delicious fish and the numerous photography opportunities.  

-Karl

Comments

Popular Posts