Vintage Commemorative Locomotives from the EMD Factory

Very interesting acquisition to share. Yesterday I met a fellow at a nearby police station for an in-person exchange for an ebay purchase.

The seller said that these both came from his dad who worked at the EMD facility in LaGrange. Apparently there was someone there that would make these dummies-on-plinths for employees for commemorating special occasions. These were just $10 each. I didn't bid -though I wish I had- on a Chessie that actually had the small plaque denoting the gentleman's father's retirement.

Anywho, this one was his dad's. The model is an Athearn Blue Box GP35 (old wide-body style).  I bought it as I already have a powered GP35 Chassis and I've been wanting an Illinois Central loco for some time now. It removed easily, is in great shape and should be an easy swap.

This second one is an Athearn Blue Box FP-45 (meant to approximate an AMTRAK SDP40F).  The seller said was given to him by his dad for his birthday. It has some added door-side handles but unfortunately it's in really rough shape. 
As he tells it it was played with quite a bit when he was a kid.   Appears to have been over-tightened to the point that the trucks are damaged and the track is cracked. One broken mounting hole, broken steps, etc. I might not be able to save much more than the plinth and frame.  However, I do have a spare B&O FP-45 shell that I could cannibalize for the steps and such and I probably have some appropriate trucks somewhere so there is at least potential.


As seen in the second picture, the Amtrak had a small plaque attached with a touching birthday message. I removed the plaque thinking that while it didn't suit my use, such a nice sentiment should at least live on as a weight in a railcar. However, I flipped it over and found this on the backside. 



Apparently the dad or the maker at EMD used the reverse side of the official plaque for the birthday message. I'll be putting this back on the Plinth GM side out.

So, for $20 I've at least got the IC loco I've wanted, nice plinths in two sizes that I'll be using for my photos from now on and a few extra parts with potential.   A good buy as far as I'm concerned.

Comments

Popular Posts