Building a Polar Express Part 1: Gathering Supplies.

The Polar Express holds a soft spot in the hearts of children and adult model railroaders alike.   This year I decided my kids should have a polar express.  However, we're on a bit of a budget.  Nothing dire, but enough that a $300 Lionel set is out of the question.
https://www.lionelstore.com/The-Polar-Express-HO-Set
So, I've set to work making one.

As it happened I already had a trio of semi-junk Athearn heavyweight diners.  Technically I should be using coaches, but I rather like the idea of dining my way across the Arctic Circle.
A buddy kindly sent me a replacement truck for the top one.  None of these have windows, but I'll probably just glue in some clear packaging plastic.

A friend on TycoDepot sold me this Rivarossi Pere Marquette Berkshire 1222 for a fantastic bargain.   A broken step on the front, but nothing major.
Pere Marquette 1225 was the basis for the Polar Express locomotive.

At my favorite local train shop "Zientek" I found this NOS heavyweight observation car.
I can fudge the diners, but an observation car is an iconic and essential part of the Polar Express.

Ebay provided 2 sets of "Polar Northern Railroad (PNR) North Pole Express #87-1433" decals.
These decals cleverly sidestep copyright by providing you with decals in the same font for both and "Polar Northern Lines" and "North Pole Express".  I might have been ok with one set, but just to be sure I got two.  I'm mildly chagrined that I spent about as much on decals as for the passenger consist.

3 cans of spray paint from Menards. On Sale!

Now then, here's where our bargain Polar Express stands including shipping/tax/etc.

$10- Three Athearn junker Heavyweight Diners
$30- Rivarossi Pere Marquette Berkshire
$8- Athearn Observation Car kit
$17- Two sets of Microscale "Polar Northern Railroad" Decals
$10- Three cans of spray paint.
Total: $75

That's 1/4 the Lionel set and just about what a Berk will cost you on Bay if you find a good deal!

The diner shells have been resting in a bath of "Purple Power" degreaser.
Painting coming next...

-Karl











Comments

Popular Posts