Chicago Trainspotting. GP38-2 GTW (CN) 4925

Living as I do within spitting distance of several rail yards, GP38-2's are among my most photographed locomotives.  It's also the most nostalgic as my first HO scale diesel locomotive was a Life-Like GP38-2.   I spotted this beauty on the tracks just east of the CN Hawthorne yards.


Despite wearing 10 year old Canadian National paint,  this locomotive still bears Grand Trunk reporting mark "GTW 4925". A look into it's history reveals that it was built in 1972 as Missouri Pacific 844 before passing to Grand Trunk which is now controlled by Canadian National.

 A pretty face...

... and just look at that noble profile!

 Not a bad back either.

Off to the left you can see what's coming up in a future Chicago Trainspotting post.

Hope you enjoyed these pictures. Wish me luck-and-bargains as tomorrow I'm off to the Will County Model Railroad Society's swap meet and open house.  



Comments

Popular Posts